Registered Social Worker
B.A. (Sociology/Women’s Studies), B.S.W., M.S.W., R.S.W.
Individual, Couples & Family Counselling
Ages: Teens (13-17), Young Adults (18-24), Adults, Seniors
Melanie is a Registered Social Worker (R.S.W.) practicing for over 17 years in various roles. She adopts a down to earth, compassionate and person-centered approach to therapy. Melanie has extensive experience working with a diverse range of clients. Melanie is committed to helping her clients reach their full potential and live fulfilling lives. With a passion for helping others, she creates a safe and supportive environment where her clients feel heard and understood. Valuing each client's unique experiences and perspectives, Melanie builds trust and mutual respect in the therapeutic relationship. She builds her foundations on trauma- informed care and incorporates evidence-based techniques.
Melanie has training in: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT); Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT). She is also a certified Mental Health First Aid (Seniors) Instructor. Melanie is experienced in working with individuals in the areas of trauma, various mental health problems, addictions, coping skills, impulsivity, life transitions, relationships, grief, loss, stress, and suicidal/self-harm ideations. Counselling is tailored to the unique needs of the person, providing space for the individual to find meaning through exploring their emotions and feelings and working through tough situations. Melanie will work with you to develop coping techniques to support you with your mental health and well being.
- Bachelor of Arts, Memorial University, Sociology and Women’s Studies
- Certificate in Criminology, Memorial University
- Bachelor of Social Work, University of Victoria
- Master of Social Work, Memorial University, Fellow of the School of Graduate Studies for outstanding academic achievement and performance of special merit.
- Registered Social Worker with Newfoundland and Labrador College of Social Workers, #2657
- Newfoundland and Labrador College of Social Workers (NLCSW)
Certificates & Training
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Level 1 training
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), present
- Trauma Informed Care
- Seeking Safety
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Cultural Competency
- Motivational Interviewing
- Substance Use, Recovery and Aftercare
- Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW), Field Instructor Certificate Program
- Mental Health First Aid-Seniors, Certified Instructor, Mental Health Commission of
- Memorial University School of Social Work, Field Instructor, BSW & MSW programs
- Compassion Fatigue
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behavioral Training (CBT)
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Child Abuse Investigation Training, Memorial University
- Single Session Counselling Certificate, Wilfrid Laurier University School of Social Work
- Harm Reduction and Recovery, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- Person Centered Case Management, Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness (CAEH)
Tel: (709) 738-0432