B.Ed. (Counselling Psychology), R.P.
Ages: Young Adults (18-24), Adults, Seniors
The counselling environment is a unique space as it allows individuals to express themselves without fear of judgment. Amy recognizes that it can take a great deal of courage and effort to come to therapy and do the work involved. Amy’s goal is for clients to feel accepted and safe in the counselling relationship so that they can work towards increased self-awareness, compassion, and growth. Amy uses a client-centered approach that is informed by the following theoretical orientations: Emotion Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Narrative Therapy and Mindfulness Practice.
Amy has provided counselling and psychotherapy services in various settings including: an EAP company, providing assessment and crisis intervention for employees struggling at work and in their personal lives; at a University Counselling Centre providing individual and group counselling to the university student population; and at a community counselling centre providing individual counselling to the LGBTQ2S population. Amy has experience working with clients struggling with anxiety, depression, gender identity, self worth, relationship issues, stress management, trauma, grief and loss, and life transitions.
Amy is passionate about perinatal mental health and has a special interest in working with women, mothers to be and new mothers. As a mother herself, Amy understands that the journey to pregnancy, as well as the pregnancy and postpartum periods, all can have a significant physical, mental and emotional impact on a woman. From fertility challenges, pregnancy and infant loss to managing changing roles and relationships and postpartum anxiety and mood changes, there are many challenges women face during this period of time.
- Bachelor of Physical Education, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Bachelor of Education, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Master of Education (Counselling Psychology), Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Registered Psychotherapist with The College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) #002754
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) #11244228
- Academy of Naturopaths and Naturotherapists of Canada #22-6740
Certificates and Training
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Therapy, International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Bringing Baby Home Educator Training, The Gottman Institute
- Perinatal Mental Health, Canadian Perinatal Mental Health Trainings
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss, PESI
Tel: (709) 738-0432